|Fircroft College during WW1
Thanks LoB: MS 466/3a/831
With the onset of World War 1 and in particular the Gallipoli campaign in early and mid 1915, the hospitals in Birmingham began to receive casualties, both ill and wounded servicemen. In addition to the acute facilities available at the 1st Southern General Hospital, convalescent homes were required to allow individuals to regain their health and strength. Throughout the city appropriate facilities were sought and requisitioned by the War Office. In Bournville two buildings were identified and made available by Cadburys – Fircroft and The Beeches.
Donations were provided to make these two large houses fit to comply with the requirements of Military Convalescent Hospitals. Medical and ancillary staff were recruited and the intent was to provide suitable accommodation and care in a beneficial environment – in ‘the fresh air’.