|Stirchley Baths ceremonial plaque 1910.
Begun in 1910 and opened in mid 1911, Stirchley swimming baths (on Bournville Lane) was a popular local facility for nearly eighty years before it closed to the public in 1988. By this time the Edwardian building was in need of significant attention, as were many other swimming pools in the city, and it fell into even greater disrepair as the years passed.
A £4m project, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and the sale of the nearby site of the Stirchley Community Centre, has transformed the Grade II listed building into a community hub. The new facilities will include a variety of meeting and training rooms, a community hall with cinema space and a café.